Tuesday, August 26, 2008


So Sunday evening I transferred the caterpillars into an empty cranberry juice container. It was the closest thing I could find to a terrarium, and felt like there was ample space for the caterpillars to form cocoons on its roof. I placed some fresh leaves for the little 'pillers to eat. During the transfer, I thought to myself, "man, I'm probably just killing these miniature monsters... I should just let them free. The world is a beautiful place, and none of the lord's creatures should be forced to view it from inside a cage." After that thought, I sealed the container up with some saran wrap, punched some holes in it and poured some coffee... it was going to be an exciting night

I did some caterpillar research and realized that some entomologists keep their bugs in windowsills. This works for me, as well as the cat:
so I threw the bugs in the windowsill and Maebe and I waited for them to start the party. A little after 10, I had completely forgotten about the caterpillars as a great show was marathoning on the television. Anyway, I watched Mr. Octupus achieve such great things, then fell asleep on the ground.

The next day I awoke and carried about my day. I saw the spinto boys and we updated the website (getting closer to the release date! ha cha cha) and practiced some tunes. It was a pretty exciting day, but little did I know my excitement hadn't come close to its peak. I came home, made my way to the caterpillars, and found this:
Can you tell what that is dangling atop the cranberry juice jug? A collection of cocoons clinging to the ceiling. Oh man, 24 or so hours since they made a home in the cranberry juice, and they were already wrapped in silk and disguised as juicy little bean pods. I thought about plucking one, placing it in a salad bowl and seeing if I could trick someone into eating it, but realized that would be cruel to the caterpillar. Anyway, I figure I need to keep a close watch as once those cocoons start to crack open, I need to make sure the butterflies can get out.

I'll keep the dozen or so of you here on the blog updated as to what goes down the next couple of days. After all, it's the little things in life we need to find pleasure in.

No comments: