Monday, August 25, 2008

Catepillar country


While prancing in nature yesterday, I found a stockpile of wild caterpillars spying from the underside of the gardenias. They were plump and healthy and perfectly content to swallow whole leaves in their oblong bellies before culminating in their cozy cocooned coma.

I thought it would be best for these cattys if I picked them and dropped them in a mason jar to study. I rinsed the remnants of tomato juice from the mason jar and lined the bottom with some caterpillar food and then poked some holes into a lid so they would have a dry roof to their home.

Now I have a few goals for my caterpillars. Mainly, I hope they survive. With the lush catering I have provided, they will undoubtedly have enough food, but I wonder if they are not unlike the great white shark or the ancient samurai who would rather die than live a life of captivity.

My second goal is that I can watch them develop into beautiful butterflies. A little bird told me that the appearance of the caterpillar may be similar to the monarch caterpillar which, as we all know, is quite the eye-catching butterfly. Let's hope we get that far with them. I'll be sure to keep you all connected with my fleshy adopted offspring here on the ol' web journal.

My third goal is that they carry me atop their wings into the butterfly cloud village only heard of in ancient Iroquoian myth. Once there they will place me upon a bed made of peeled peach fuzz and tell me all the stories of the great father butterfly through a network of arranged iridescent wings.

all of these are small achievable goals, which are the type of goals I like to set for myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes We Can.

Eaton / Caterpillars '08.