
So the chickens are survivors. We sighed a breath of relief this morning as all the cluckers still had their heads. There are a few bets going around the farm as to what date the first chicken will get killed. Chicks just gotta say, "That's pretty fucked up."
So, with all these thoughts of predators and losing bets swirling in my head, I drank a bunch of cold ones last night while watching the Flyers game and every time I had to whizz, I moseyed out to the coop and pissed a nice little PBR smelling perimeter to help a little. Badger pitched in a few times. At slumber-hour, Badger stayed up at my feet looking out our bedroom window at the coop. I don't think he slept at all. At around 1am or so, he woke me up barking up a storm. "Oh geez, here we go," I thought. I looked out the window and could see a little light coming from the coop. While half asleep, I imagined the whole back wall had fallen out. I cursed and ran out in the yard in my bare feet and boxers through the urine swamp, only to realize the light I was seeing was the window of the coop and a little crack on one of the door hinges.
.jpg)
I had forgotten that feeling of bursting awake and jumping out of bed into action. It was awesome. By the time I realized the chickens were safe, standing half naked in my yard, my heart was racing. I took a deep breath of fresh air and something came over me. I lifted my head, staring up at the stars. The moon was shining and a slight breeze tickled my chest hair. Badger and I stood there, planted like two sentinels. With our heads lifted toward the final frontier, we both let out a primal scream. Howling at the moon I became one with Badger and the chickens and the great mother.
I no longer fear the predators. Weasels and foxes know. Snakes and rats know. Bearded dragons know, and now I know. We are all little chickens waiting to get eaten. Standing under our heat lamps and pooping in our food. Waiting for our big boy feathers to replace our little baby feathers and then laying eggs to be scooped up and served with Canadian bacon and English muffins:
one world.
2 comments:
howl on brother!
I do really enjoyed your post. It brought to my memory good feelings of the place where i grew up. In spite of being so far away i could feel my body swimming in the sea on a full moon summer night... i breathed as you did... in the middle of nowhere i could feel i was in the correct place. Thank you. I really needed it
Post a Comment