Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alice left me feeling unpure




So what do I know about films? I can't critique them. They all have their target audiences and I usually write criticisms then delete them, then write about how I can't write them.

All I know is that one of these two things has changed:

-Tim Burton's genius
-me

20 years ago, Edward Scissorhands came out. I was a child. Nowadays I just scoff at shitty dialogue, wish movies weren't so predictable, and complain about how fake stuff looks. What happened?

I can enjoy everything. I don't need to judge it all. A lot of people worked hard on that movie and created a work of art. Who cares if it ends with a battle scene and silly dance and then a really bad song. Wonderland is a real place. I love it. I will think of 20 impossible things before breakfast.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I think there is a fine line between "criticism" and "judgment". To me, a critical person has room to alter their perception. A judgment has weight and permanence.