Thursday, April 30, 2009

Play it Loud




So the April CD from the Mix of the month club came today from my broham Thomas. It kicked off so powerfully that I decided to resurrect the Ol' web journal to mention one heck of a mix CD starter.

Track 1 was by New Orleans's The Generationals. A band that I have seen and heard here and there but never taken the time to absorb. Do you know what I mean? Like sometimes you read a tshirt slogan and don't really take it in because the main reason you were reading the slogan was to avoid eye contact and the clever play on words just goes in one eye and out the other as you prepare for a deep stare into someone's spectacled oculars. Such instances in life happen daily, and only when you get to sit down with the tshirt and soak in the slogan do you truly appreciate its humor.

Such was the case with The Generationals... I saw them in Austin, I've heard them coming from the speakers of Jenkins, the spintovan, and have been juiced by their Park the Van signing. But here I am on the interweb now saying that this song is making every step I take a little brighter:

The Generationals: When They Fight They Fight

3 comments:

Sixties Relic said...

I'm sure I've heard this song before but I can't remember where, when or how...

Didn't know you had your own blog - from bits I've read, s'very good!

Unknown said...

This song was part of the "in between set" music that played over the speakers from our last European tour. Perhaps that's where you heard it? And if so, you have quite a good memory!

Sixties Relic said...

Thomas, you're right (although my memory's not what it used to be)! I had another think after I posted my comment and wondered if that was where I'd heard it. Thanks for clearing that up!

(With apologies to Jon for trying to start a conversation on his blog.)