Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Would I get along with T. Boone Pickens?

Today I read a magazine interview with Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens. It was in one of the magazines I receive but rarely read called Details. I didn't really know much about Pickens prior to this with the exception that he is a Texas boy who made his fortune in oil and is now promoting alternative energy through wind generators. Anyway, after reading the interview with the aged Texas tycoon I wonder if he and I would get along. You can follow the link above to read the full interview, but I've pasted the questions that I liked below:

Q: When doing business, do you think it’s important to wear clothes that convey a sense of power, affluence, or style?
A: I have nothing to say about that. I just wear a regular suit, and if I need to make a speech I put on an orange tie. I have a pair of penny loafers that I bought in 1957, and I still wear them.

Q: I take it you’re not much for splurging.
A: I’m not a shopper. I buy four or five suits at once, every four or five years. I shop for five hours and don’t go back.

Q: Are there any things you wish you owned?
A: I never was the kind of person who wanted a lot of things. I’ve never been into cars, and big houses hold very little interest for me—though I do enjoy my ranch. There is no question that I like to make money. But I’m generous—I give a lot away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He doesn't seem like a tough guy to get along with, at least compared to Dick Cheney.

I could see myself arguing with him about the practicality of converting cars to run on natural gas though.